Penn & Tylers Green FC First Team lose at Sandhurst, despite second half come-back

Sandhurst Town FC.jpg

What's New

Penn & Tyler Green 2017

Andreas Latta

I Like This Post

If you like this post, you can tweet from here.

I like this post...I would like to share it on:

Penn & Tylers Green FC First Team lose at Sandhurst, despite second half come-back

Sandhurst Town FC.jpgSandhurst Town FC 1.jpgSandhurst Town FC 2.jpg

Penn & Tylers Green FC lost only their second league game of the season on Saturday at Sandhurst Town’s Bottom Meadow ground. This match lived up to the old cliché of, ”a game of two halves!”. Penn got off to the worst possible start and were one down after two minutes. Sandhurst burst down the right wing and the low cross was headed in by the on rushing Sandhurst forward Conor Harlowe, who nipped in front of goalkeeper Matt Cannings to head home from three yards out.

Penn responded through a shot from Adam Harman which was cleared for a corner which came to nothing. Penn did have the ball in the Sandhurst net after 22 minutes but Adam Harman had punched in James Pritchard’s free kick and was booked for his misdemeanor. On 25 minutes after some sustained pressure from Sandhurst their forward burst through unchallenged and Matt Cannings was forced to bring him down and the resulting penalty was tucked confidentially away by Charlie Oakley.

On 30 minutes Sandhurst almost went further ahead but Penn cleared off their line for a lucky escape. Then, after 36 minutes Penn conceded a third goal when Charlie Oakley again proved a thorn In their side as he raced from the right hand side once again unchallenged and coolly slotted the ball across Matt Cannings into the far corner of the net.

Penn did hit almost get back in the game on 43 minutes when Danny Jordan met a Casey Bocarro corner and headed against the foot of the far post. Then with the half time whistle about to blow Adam Harman steamed through hand unleashed a shot which went narrowly wide. Half time came with Penn actually now in the ascendancy.

Penn came out for the second half with real intent and an early effort from Casey Bocarro was saved by the Sandhurst keeper. Penn were now the far better team and in the 59th minute after some sustained pressure and some good resolute last ditch defending from Sandhurst, Penn finally reaped their reward when a Sandhurst defender clearly handled the ball; 3-1, game on. Just five minutes later Penn were awarded another penalty when Chris Hurst burst through and was bundled over. Up stepped Danny Jordan again to put the ball in the same corner as the first penalty to make the score 3-2; game definitely on!

Sandhurst were now very much “backs against the wall”, but they always had the counter attack threat and from one such attack after 82 minutes, a very good cross from the right was headed firmly towards the Penn goal from 8 yards and Matt Cannings made what can only be described as a world class save to tip the ball over the bar and keep Penn in the game.

With the game slipping away George Weller chased a ball down to the right of the Sandhurst goal and reached the ball first and was absolutely fouled by the Sandhurst goalkeeper, but to the amazement of all in the ground, except the referee and linesman of course, no penalty was given.

That was the last action of note and although Penn pushed right to the end the equaliser was not to be. Well done to Sandhurst who probably deserved their win for their dominant first half performance but a fantastic recovery by Penn in the second half and if vital decisions had gone their way a draw may have been forthcoming.

Next week its the battle of Division One East v Division One West in the challenge cup when Penn entertain Easington Sports FC who are currently second in their division.

Team: M Cannings, J Gumbs, J-J Lofthouse-Smith, A Sethi, J Fox, J Bridgeman, J Pritchard, D Jordan (C) 2, C Bocarro, A Harman, C Hurst.

Subs used: G Weller, F Tripp, B Holland. Subs unused: A Davis, N Miller